Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 12: Goodbye My Lover by James Blunt from Back to Bedlam

I've had a number of my friends and family ask me lately why I am doing this song blog.

The answer is simply that I'm doing this blog so that I and my readers can discover music. When I was growing up, it seemed that everybody listened to the radio, and we all learned about new music that way. I've grown to dislike commercial radio, and even when I listen in, I feel like they're still playing music I've already heard. When they do play something new, they often fail to tell me the name of the artist or album so that I can find it for myself.

When I was in junior high and high school, my friends and I also used to make mix tapes, which was another way to share music and turn the enjoyment of music into a social experience. Now almost nobody has a cassette player anymore. It's just as well. The computer is a much better way to share music anyway. In a sense, this blog is like a mix tape of music I like, but broken down into individual songs. Releasing a song each day lets me say a little about how I discovered each song and what I like about it. It also keeps the amount of content from being too overwhelming.

I'm hoping that, through your comments and suggestions, I'll come to discover or re-discover music too.

Indeed, today, I'm featuring a song that my mom suggested. She told me the other day how she was discovering all this new music that she didn't know about, and she mentioned this James Blunt tune in particular.

Here it is.

I do enjoy the music of James Blunt myself, although Blunt's voice is not my favorite. He's got a bit of a scratchy quality at times that seems a bit at odds with the sentiment in the songs. But that doesn't detract from the songs much. And I find that Blunt's songs are original enough that they don't immediately remind me of other songs I've heard before.

I think I'll have another suggestion from a friend tomorrow.

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment