Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 8: In the Summertime by The Rural Alberta Advantage from Hometowns

Just at the outset, I have to say I think that Hometowns is a great album. I found it on emusic, and it's got a lot going for it. There's a lot of variety from song to song. It's got great cover art. The band's style is simple but compelling. It's one of my favorite finds.

Here it is.

I could have picked any one of several songs from the album to post here, but I picked In the Summertime because I think it best showcases the band's sincerity. The instrumentation is simple but unusual. (Today it's the organ, though, that makes it unusual.) The two vocalists are a great complement for one another. The song is short, the lyrics are clear, and the band does a great job of conveying the emotions behind the words.

When Jeremiah and I went to Hawaii after I took the bar exam, this was one of the songs we listened to a bunch while driving all over the big island to see the sights. So, it brings back happy memories too.

Have you heard any albums recently that you loved? Let us know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment