Friday, June 24, 2011

Day 19: Smells Like Teen Spirit by Paul Anka from Rock Swings

Today's featured song is a swing-version cover of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit," the only song I know of that rhymes mosquito and libido. And it's a far, far cry musically from yesterday's Ludovico Einaudi track.

Here it is.



This album is full of swingified covers of a variety of rock/pop/alt songs. I thought the whole project was very creative, and I love the whole album. I also recommend "The Way You Make Me Feel" and especially "Jump." "Jump" is a cover of the Van Halen track, not the Pointer Sisters "Jump [For My Love]" or for that matter the same-named track by Simple Plan -- all of which I also enjoy. I would have picked Jump, except that I think that the Nirvana song is more widely recognized than the Van Halen song. I don't know why there are so many songs about jumping. But I don't care tonight, I just want to enjoy Paul Anka's "Jump."

Do you have a favorite Nirvana song or a favorite song that involves jumping? Tell me about it in the comments!

P.S. Dear Spellcheck, "Swingified" is too a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment